The theme of the 2016 Merriman Summer School, which is being held earlier this year, is ‘Gallant Allies in Europe’.
Lectures, talks, discussions will centre on Ireland’s relations with the British Empire and continental Europe in 1916 and with the United Kingdom and the European Union 100 years after the Easter Rising.
The 2016 Merriman Summer School takes place just as the implications of the result of the United Kingdom’s in/out referendum on European Union membership are becoming apparent.
This Summer School is being organised in partnership with the European Parliament’s Irish Office and is also part of County Clare’s Community Initiative contribution to the Centenary Programme in commemoration of the Easter Rising, Éire 1916-2016, along with the national Irish language strand, ‘An Teanga Bheo’.
Full details of the programme are available on merriman.ie.
DAILY & FULL SCHOOL TICKETS
WEDNESDAY 29 JUNE
- Welcome and registration, 7pm
Opening of the School: Liam Ó Dochartaigh, Cathaoirleach, Cumann Merriman.
Introductory Remarks: Bríd Quinn / Lecture: Our Gallant allies in Europe: a Marriage of Convenience? Professor Diarmaid Ferriter, 8pm
THURSDAY 30 JUNE
- Alliances with Europe: History Ireland Hedge School with Hiram Morgan, Sylvie Kleinman, Angus Mitchell & Mike Cronin with Tommy Graham, 10am – 12pm, €15 Book here
- Cúirt An Mheán Lae: Biddy Jenkinson. Á cur i lathair ag Máire Ní Neachtain, 12.15pm, €5 Book here
Panel: ‘Exaltation among the nations’: Our women & men in Europe – former MEPs.
Nuala Ahern, Sean Ó Neachtain, Emer Costello / Cathaoirleach: Jillian van Turnhout, 3pm, FOC
- Panel: ‘To find the answering voices that they seek’: Ireland (North & South), Britain and Europe – in the aftermath of the UK referendum / Professor. Mary C. Murphy, Steve Aiken MLA, Brian Hayes MEP, Cathaoirleach: Pat Cox, 8pm, FOC
FRIDAY 1 JULY
Painéal: ‘Cad é sin don té sin?’: Éire, an Bhreatain agus an Eoraip.
Liadh Ní Riada TPE, Éamon Ó Cuív TD, Harry Mc Gee, An tOllamh Mike Cronin / Cathaoirleach: Liam Ó Dochartaigh, 10am – 12pm, FOC
- Cúirt an Mheán Lae: Brian Lynch. Á cur i láthair ag Máire Ní Neachtain, 12.15pm, €5 Book here
- Panel: ‘For years untold her youth will shine’: Generation Maastricht: the youth perspective Le cinntiú: David Garrahy with Valery Molay and Cárthach Ó Faolain, former MEP Pat Cox, 3pm, FOC
- ‘Cradling dreams’ – Cultural Perspectives. Marina Carr and Mick O’Dea / Introduced by Doireann Ní Bhriain, 8pm, €15 Book here
SATURDAY 2 JULY
Seimineár: ‘An Scríbhneoir i dTíortha Stráinséara’ Liam Mac Cóil.
Cathaoirleach: Deirdre Nic Mhathúna, 10am, €10 Book here
Seminar: Gallant Allies and Exiled Children: International aspects of the 1916 Rising
Ruán O’Donnell / Cathaoirleach: le cinntiú, 11am, €10 Book here
- Cúirt an Mheán Lae: Gabriel Rosenstock. Á chur I láthair ag Máire Ní Neachtain, 12.15pm, €5 Book here
Panel: As others see us: ‘Move lips, move minds and make new meanings flare’
Joachim Fischer, Francis Jacobs , Professor Eddie Moxon-Browne / Cathaoirleach: le cinntiú, 3pm, €15 Book here
‘The confluence of dreams’: Looking to the Future
Pat Cox, President European Parliament 2002-2004 / Closing of the School: Liam Ó Dochartaigh, 8pm, FOC